Tuesday 9 December 2008

NYC HUMOUR - JACKIE MASON

Jackie Mason (born Yacov Moshe Masa) is a stand-up comedian who grew up in New York City on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Mason graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the City College of New York and, at the age of 25, was ordained, as his three brothers and father had been, a rabbi. Three years later he resigned to become a comedian saying at the time "Somebody in the family had to make a living."

He began his career in the 1950's and here are some examples of his humour:-

"Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe."

"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I have to buy something."

"It's no longer a question of staying healthy. It's a question of finding a sickness you like."

"My grandfather always said, "Don't watch your money, watch your health. So one day while I was watching my health, someone stole my money. It was my grandfather."

"I talk to myself because I like dealing with a better class of people."

"I always thought music was more important than sex. Then I thought if I don't hear a concert for a year and a half it doesn't bother me."

In 1992, Mason won an Emmy for his voice-over of Rabbi Hyman Krustofski in The Simpsons episode "Like Father, Like Clown" making him the first guest star to win an Emmy for his role. In a 2005 poll to find the Comedian's Comedian, Mason was voted among the top-50 comedy acts ever by fellow comedians and comedy insiders.

During his 50 plus year career (which is still going), in addition to appearing on Broadway and major NYC clubs, he has starred at virtually every important theater in North America and Europe with his one-man shows, made countless television shows and performances, starred in films and written books. Jackie Mason has just completed a full length motion picture "One Angry Man" for release in 2009.


No comments: