At the corner of Greenwich and Charles Streets is a tiny white wooden house. Its got a wrought-iron double gate, a cobbled driveway and a white gazebo in its pretty green yard. A long standing fixture of the the Greenwich Village Historical Village? Wrong - whilst its been around since the early to mid 1700's, in 1968 it was trucked from 71st Street and York Avenue, a distance of 5 miles through city streets, after being threatened with demolition.
Originally built as a one-storey back house, it gained a floor after the move, along with the yard and its wild roses, but it remains in roughly the same condition as before.